Warm quinoa and apple porridge
Place quinoa and apples in a pan and warm gently. Serve with honey or cinnamon as a low GI, gluten free breaky idea.
Chia Muesli bar
Baking tray, oil spray to grease baking tray, baking paper
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 cup white chia seeds
1/2 cup sunflower kernels
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup sultanas
1 1/2 cups puffed brown rice
1/3 cup golden syrup
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1 tablespoon brown sugar
What to do
1. Grease and line a baking tray.
2. In a frying pan, toast the oats, coconut, chia seeds, sunflower kernels and pumpkin seeds. Stir continuously until the coconut turns golden.
3. Transfer to large bowl and set aside to cool.
4. Once cooled, add the sultanas and puffed brown rice.
5. Melt butter, golden syrup, vanilla essence and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring continuously until sugar dissolves. Simmer, without stirring, for around 6 minutes.
6. Add hot mixture to dry ingredients
7. Stir and stir until all of the dry ingredients are thoroughly coated.
8. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tray. Use a large metal spoon to press the mixture down firmly.
9. Place into the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Fruit and Nut Breakfast Bar
½ cup of dried dates
½ cup of water
½ cup of tahini
¾ cup of rolled oats
¼ cup spelt flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup of mixed nuts
1/3 cup of mixed seeds
What to do
1. Grease and line a baking tray.
2. Blend the date ingredients until smooth paste forms.
3. Combine with dry ingredients and mix well
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tray. Use a large metal spoon to press the mixture down firmly.
5. Place into the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Bread Free Breakfasts
Ideas for a bread free breakfast:
Better than muesli: 1 apple, cored and quartered, handful of almonds, handful of macadamias, handful of pumpkin seeds, handful of sunflower seeds, handful of desiccated coconut, handful of goji berries, 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, a few grinds of salt. Start with putting your apple into your blender or food processor, and then add the remaining ingredients in the order listed. Pulse quickly until desired consistency is reached. Be careful not to over blend. Enjoy with yoghurt.
Seed breakfast: 1 cup of both sunflower seeds & sesame seeds, dry roast them in a hot pan for a few minutes until brown and popping. Put in a bowl and top with 2 tbsp. natural yoghurt and some berries or grated apple or banana. This is really filling and super yummy
Apple eggs: 1 large green apple, 2 eggs, ½ tsp. turmeric, 1 tsp. ginger or galangal a little water (a few tsps.). Dice the apple into little cubes. Put the water, apple and spices into the hot pan. Once the Apple has soaked up the water and spices, whisk the eggs and pour over the apples (like a pikelet) Cook until brown.
Oat bran eggs: 2 eggs, a little water, 1 tsp. rice bran oil, ½ cup oat bran, cinnamon and nutmeg. Place all ingredients into a bowl and whisk well. Then pour into a pan and cook like pikelets. You can serve with stewed or grated fruit and or yoghurt.
Fruit omelette: 2 eggs, 1 tsp. corn flour, berries/banana/apple/cinnamon. Whisk eggs and corn flour and cook like a pancake cook the fruit in the omelette or add as a topping.
Smoothie: 1 banana, 1 cup of milk, 1 tbsp. LSA, 1 tbsp. flax seed oil, 2 tbsp. yoghurt, 1 tsp. honey. Blend all ingredients until smooth. Add more liquid if you want it less chunky. Frozen bananas work esp. well.
Date smoothie: 1 cup nonfat yogurt, 1 cup nonfat milk, 1 cup (packed) pitted Medjool dates, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 cups ice cubes. Purée yogurt, milk, dates, and vanilla in blender until smooth. Add ice cubes; puree until mixture is thick and smooth. Divide between 2 glasses and serve.
Baked eggs: lightly oil a ramekin or oven proof cup with rice bran oil. Place a combination or all of the following on the bottom: mushroom, spinach, garlic, tomato, asparagus, zucchini, left over roast vegetables (capsicum, sweet potato, onion, broccoli etc.), or Tofu. Place 1-2 eggs on top. Season with salt and pepper. Bake in a hot oven (220 degrees C) until almost done. Yolks are best a little runny. Takes about 8 to 12 minutes depending on your oven. These can be prepared the night before and popped in the oven while you are in the shower.
1. Line a 8”x8” baking pan with baking paper, allow it to hang over the edge.
2. Combine the first 8 ingredients in a large bowl and mix.
3. Add maple syrup and apple sauce and mix
4. Add almond butter, mix
5. Place batter in tin pressing down firmly.
6. Place in freezer for 1 hour
7. Remove from freezer and tin, remove paper and slice into 16 pieces.
8. Store in a sealed container in the freezer
You can substitute any nuts, seeds or fruit as desired.
Basic quick quinoa recipe.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl the night before:
½ cup quinoa flakes
2/3 cup almond milk
½ tablespoon of chia seeds
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
In the morning you may like to add more liquid if the ingredients have soaked it all up.
Top with your favorite toppings
Dollop of almond butter and fresh strawberries
Chopped dates and walnuts
Cacao nibs, fresh cherries and nut butter
Grated carrot, walnuts and sultanas
LSA, coconut, honey and berries
Or try your own creation.