- 2 kg free-range chicken frames and necks
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 or 3 sticks of celery, roughly cut
- 2 large leeks, cleaned and roughly chopped
- 4 or 5 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs dried mushrooms
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 or 3 bay leaves
- parsley, sage, thyme, oregano, cumin, turmeric, chilli, cumin
- In a large saucepan, stir fry onions, celery, carrot, leek and garlic in the oil over medium heat for four or five minutes to brown.
- Add the chicken and remaining ingredients.
- Cover with water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer very, very slowly for around three hours. (Add water as necessary to keep everything covered )
- Over medium heat, reduce quantity by a half.
- Leave to cool and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day, remove solidified fat from top of the mixture and store stock in plastic containers.